Smart Phone Hacks
Find An All Battery Center
Find Your Location
Use our PART LOOKUP DATABASE
Dial up these quick cell phone facts and tips
Save your soaked smart phone, learn the law about cell phone usage while driving and take better mobile photos.
Water-logged phone? The Do's and Don'ts:
WET PHONE DO'S
- TURN IT OFF! Even if the phone is still working, turn it off immediately. Do not charge it. Do not plug it in to see if it works. Electricity will touch the water that's inside and fry the circuit board.
- RICE…MAYBE. It's true that rice wicks moisture, but it only works where it
can touch the water. Since many phones are closed systems, the rice can't get in to where the where the water has gotten.
- Remove any protective casing as well as the battery, SIM card(s) and microSD card if you are able to. This may not be possible with all phone models.
- Place in a bag of instant rice for 24 hours or more. You can also try packages of silica.
- YOUR BEST BET: Take your phone to a phone repair professional. Many Interstate All Battery Centers offer expert mobile device repair.
WET PHONE DON'TS
- DO NOT put a water-damaged phone in the tumble dryer even if it's inside a sock or a pillow case.
- DO NOT leave your wet phone on the radiator.
- DO NOT heat up your wet phone with a hair dryer.
- DO NOT put your wet phone in the freezer.
Hand-held cell phone bans per state
In addition to hand-held cell phone use, texting is banned in all states except Montana, with partial bans in Missouri and Arizona.
Smart phone photo tips
Take Gram-worthy shots with these quick tips for shooting like a pro:
- Don't use zoom. Use your legs and get a better shot without altering the shot quality.
- Clean means clear. Give your lens a quick cleaning from time to time.
- Reflect! Glasses, mirrors, smooth and shining surfaces. Use these to reveal fresh and fascinating views.
- Apps! There are countless apps that add mood, color and transform ordinary images into artful achievements.
- Let there be light! Vivid sunsets and even moody gray days present great opportunities. A dramatic shadow can save a dull composition.
- Be ready! Carry a backup battery so you are ready to capture the moment.